Events and Decisions – Interlude – the days before Invasion of Narvik
D minus 62 Baldur arrives with news:
- The week after the PCs left, Dag had all declared outlaws, and expelled them from the family. He also militarized Ruvar and Jayek. Local reaction seemed muted – many believe it does not matter who is in charge, but that may not last – Dag is supposedly raising taxes to pay for military expansion.
- He is also hiring mercenary units as a “temporary defensive measure” while the “woefully inadequate” Skien military is “brought back up to standard”.
- Baldur’s spies in the household also reported that transports are being gathered, and forces are being outfitted for planetary invasion. This is the last good info to come from the household, as a second sweep of staff has vleared virtually everyone from he old rule, and several key members have disappeared completely.
- Halla is still ensconced it the Summer Residence, but word is she is a virtual prisoner there.
Baldur councils no counter claim to Dag, suggests it may send a message of weakness.
He also suggests contacting several household to request political (or more concrete) support.
Finally, the King’s niece Erika Toorvasi will be married in 3 months – suggests Skiens attend to show loyalty and that their situation has not affected their loyaltyu or standing.
- The Kelredan Light Horse is seen off planet.
- The old Imperial Base is opened up, and put in service to house the Skien mechs.
- Kath trains a Company of Militia (9 squads)
- Resources – local treasury is fine, but cannot sustain military expenses.
D minus 29
Tordis Gunderssen arrives to discuss the situation. She counsels taking up the claim through legal channels in Sargoth. She offers the PCs refuge on Wercheg if they lose Narvik, so they can continue to pursue the claim through the crown in saftey.
D minus 25
Jarl Irya Yavek of Odasan sends an Emissary with the pledge of a battalion of infantry and a cash loan to recruit a mercenary armored unit just finishing a contract with them. Yavek asks nothing in return except assurances that existing mutual defense and trade agreements modified to extend into perpetuity, and that a Skien will marry into his family with 2 years of resolution of this conflict. If the PCs agree, the units will arrive in 2 months.
D minus 8
In a stunning surprise visit, Jarl Kundarr Arvika of Tihr arrives on planet, claiming he wishes to tour the colony to get pointers for his own impending foray into the black(!). In fact, he reveals that he is acting as a go between with the Crown to query whether the Skien Household wishes to request Crown assistance. Astrid asks Knudarr to carry a message back that the Skien household would be grateful for any assistance the crown would care to lend.
D minus 2
Emmissary from the The Kingdom of the Vaegirs arrives. They offer troops including an assault mech unit to help defend Narvik. Those forces would take approximately 10 weeks to arrive. Failing that, they offer to hold units in reserve for when PCs need to take back Ruvar. In exchange, they request only Free Passage through Ruvar space for a 1 year window, time period to commence upon receipt of their request. The passage rights also will promise proetction of Ruvar and all Skien holdings for the balance of the Free Passage period. In addition, Skien house would also back Vaegir negotiations with Alburq. Gunnar figures the Vaegirs are looking for a back door to Swadian space (albeit a slow one). Crown is to specifically be kept out.
Troop transports and Mech Drop ships appear in orbit over the colony. The Skiens scramble to face the invasion!